The Diet for Healthy Teeth
We’ve all heard about how brushing and flossing are essential to optimal oral health but what else can help ensure you have a healthy, bright smile? Your diet! There are plenty of foods that can actually help strengthen your teeth, fight off bacteria and plaque and even whiten your teeth! Just like the rest of your body, teeth and gums require good nutrition in order to thrive.
- Leafy Greens – Foods such as spinach, kale, and broccoli contain calcium, folate and other nutrients and minerals that promote healthy teeth.
- Nuts – Nuts contain calcium and phosphorus which are essential to teeth health. Certain nuts can also help fight bacteria growth.
- Fresh Cranberries – Fresh cranberries are rich in polyphenols, which can help prevent plaque growth.
- Strawberries – Strawberries are packed with vitamin C, antioxidants, and malic acid. Malic acid may even be able to whiten teeth.
- Carrots – Carrots contain lots of nutrients and minerals which can help promote optimal oral health.
- Apples – Apples also contain many nutrients and minerals that can promote a healthier smile, they are also abrasive and can help clean teeth as you eat them.
- Pears – Pears are not only packed with nutrients and minerals but can also help reduce acidity in the mouth.
- Kiwis – Kiwi is extremely high in vitamin C which can promote good oral health and help prevent decay.
- Shiitake Mushrooms – These mushrooms contain a natural sugar called lentinan, which can disrupt the formation of plaque on your teeth.
- Sweet Potatoes – Sweet potatoes contain lots of vitamin A, which can help promote healthy gums and teeth.
These, however, aren’t the only healthy foods that can promote a better smile. Other fruits and vegetables high in vitamins and minerals can also be extremely beneficial. Avoiding acidic, sugary foods and beverages can also promote optimal oral health.